Sunday, July 7, 2013

6, 11, but no 12 1/2

Friday was my last practice session with Uri. True to form, he had bowled about 10 games before I even got there. Understand that he asked me to come by around 2:30 p.m. but I told him I couldn’t get to the bowling center until about 4:30 p.m. He said it wouldn’t be a problem and that he’d keep the lanes warm for me.

I threw a game of practice, getting loose and trying to focus my head. I did anything but as I sprayed shots all over and could barely through the ball correctly. I certainly didn’t look like someone getting ready for competition.

As I’m throwing my practice shots, I’m getting more and more aggravated. Uri just watched, added a few words of “encouragement,” and let me get it out of my system. I’m usually pretty collected when I bowl, but sometimes my emotions – and my mouth – get the best of me. So let’s just say I wasn’t myself that first game of practice.

I settled down and focused as Uri and I began bowling a few games together. Still, I didn’t feel quite right; my timing was a little off and I my shots weren’t lining up how I wanted. I managed to squeak out a 200 game but wasn’t happy. My last few frames, though, I realized that I was opening up my shoulders rather than keeping more square as I needed to on the condition. From there, things clicked back together and the scores reflected it: 265 and 245.

Overall, I’ve been bowling well the past few weeks and months, which gives me a lot of confidence as we enter the final week before journeying off to Israel. It’s the basics I need to keep in mind, the foundation of my game. After that, everything will fall into place.

I’ve got one more opportunity to bowl here in the U.S. this Tuesday, and then we’ll be on the lanes Friday morning for our first practice session in Israel. Looking forward to our first team practice session together in Israel … hopefully they’ll be a lane 6, lane 11 and no lane 12½!

No comments:

Post a Comment